Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I can't resist odd and unusual items.  I found this "thing" at an estate sale.  They were basically giving it away.  It was just plywood type wood.  But it had such neat lines.  And it reminded me of something I may have seen in the past - a chick carrier - for baby chicks.

So, of course, I went to my favorite spot for graphics http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/ .  So many inspirational graphics at her site that you can't go wrong.  I found a nice selection of graphics there.

I white washed the wood first.  Then printed the mirror image of the graphics on my printer.  I have been reading many tutorials using water to dampen the paper (print side down) and burnishing the image to wood.  But I started thinking about what actually "loosens" ink.   And I decided to try spraying the paper till just dampened with hair spray!  This worked like a dream.  I was so pleased.  Just make sure to let it completely dry before touching it (yep - I did that).  

After the ink had dried, I sanded the edges and mixed some clear wax and mahogany wood stain.   Using an old sock I just wiped on the stain and wax mixture to lightly stain the wood.  Still not sure what this item is, but I love it on my deck!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you use aerosol hair spray or a spray bottle type? (Do they even make the spray bottle type any more? LOL!) I may be dating myself :)

    ReplyDelete